Wednesday, December 29, 2010

A Year of Words --- Studying

Fourth goal for the Year of Words: read one writing book each month.

This goes a bit further than simply reading the book. It also allows time for examining and practicing the various ideas and techniques presented in each book. It requires me to put into practice what I'm reading. It requires me to turn the knowledge I'm gaining from this goal toward the books I'm reading for goal two. In this way, I will be able to evaluate the skills used by authors past and present in the hope of shaping my writing for the future. (Yeah, trite little threesome there.)

If the reading lists for my classes in Kingston are to be believed, I'm going to read a lot more than what I've set before myself here, but I'll just let that be bonus knowledge.

No comments:

Post a Comment