Monday, December 27, 2010

A Year of Words --- Reading

Second goal for the Year of Words: read one fiction book every two weeks.

"If you don't have the time to read, you don't have the time or tools to write."
-Stephen King

I wanted to make this goal "read one book each week," but I decided that such a goal would be:
a). Too ambitious. Between my own, glacial reading speed and all the reading I need to do for school, I decided reading through an entire book each week would be a little too much to accomplish alongside my marathon writing goal and general homework.
b). Too easy to create loopholes. I'm going to be doing a lot of reading for school, but I want to create an opportunity/reason for me to study writing techniques outside of my assigned work. By further limiting myself to fiction, I also force myself to examine the use of writing styles within my own genre.

I'll probably post a preliminary reading list in January.

No comments:

Post a Comment