Monday, November 7, 2011

NaNoWriMo 2011 - Day 7

UPDATE
Another new post from me at The Vanishing Blog. This time, "Why Portal 2 is Awesome."

Check it out.
END UPDATE

"If you want your reader to understand something about a given character, his habits of intellection and control of his emotions, show the reader what the character thinks about, and then the reader will think about it too."
-George V. Higgens
See, this is what I want you to think about.
It's working, right? :)
And so we progress. Into week two. Or, well, the end of week one, technically. But let's focus on the fact that it is Monday, instead.

Into week two!

I'm feeling like I'm running out of profound things to say in this space. Granted, I haven't been especially diligent in saying profound things here anyway, but I'm focusing so much on NOT sticking to my schedule, and yet still getting the work done, that it seems I have little thought left to devote to this space.

So, instead, I'm going to share one of my favoritest episodes of Writing Excuses, lovingly referred to as "The One Where Mary Schools Brandon, Dan, and Howard," AKA Season 3, Episode 14: The Four Principles of Puppetry with Mary Robinette Kowal.

The ideas explored in the above episode dovetail nicely into the above quote and presents some really powerful and effective tools for you to consider employing as you try to write from the perspective of your characters.

As always, if thinking about craft as you frantically try to churn out words is a detriment to the actual churning out of words, then go ahead and save this for the end of the month, or after you've churned out your words for the day, whichever you think is best.

Enjoy!

Until next time...
-josh k.

NaNoWriMo 2011 Progress
Today: 2,333/1,666 words
So far: 11,459/11,666 words
Total: 11,459/50,000 words

No comments:

Post a Comment