Saturday, September 3, 2011

Work and Travel

Just a quick observation here before I turn it in for the night.

I've discovered that traveling is the bane of productivity. While traveling, it is truly impossible to get any work done. Sure, you can have some lofty goals for what you might do with "all that free time," but you and I both know that it's not going to happen. You're busy. You're keeping track of things, you're taking in new sights, you're connecting with people. There's a lot going on. It's understandable.

I used to think that, since I'm a writer, I could take my work anywhere. Anywhere. Such an all-encompassing word. All I need is my computer, right? Maybe a book or two. A few notebooks, pens, and other physical outlining tools can help. But really, in the end all I need is my computer. (Okay, if we're being really minimalist, all we need is a pad and writing utensil. But seeing as I'm talking about myself, primarily, I'm going to be honest and simply say that I need my computer.)

I don't think that anymore.

I used to get upset about traveling a lot, because I would always set these lofty goals (do I ever set non-lofty goals?) about what I could or would get done while I was gone. Then, when I didn't meet those goals, I would be really disappointed and upset with myself.

I don't do that anymore either.

Having done a lot of traveling (as you all know) during the past six or so months, I've been given a lot of opportunities to be at peace about this lack of productivity. It still annoys me a bit that I lose a day here and there (like today) or a week every now and again (like WorldCon) to travel opportunities. But it's a loss that I understand much better now than I ever have in the past. As much as I love writing and want to write, I'm slowly agreeing (with myself) that I wouldn't want to do it if it meant I'd have to be chained to the desk every day and would never have a chance to travel. It's just not healthy.

Speaking of unhealthy...it's time for sleep. For real.

No comments:

Post a Comment