Monday, January 3, 2011

A Few Websites to Watch

Not feeling well today. Poured most of my effort into the actual writing for the day. I don't want Resistance to beat me before I even get out of the gate, so I want to make the writing during these first few days of the year to be my first priority (especially since I haven't written in a while). Regardless, I didn't want to give up on posting an update today, so here I am, albeit a bit short.

A few websites and online resources that I'll be considering throughout the year. Haven't decided which blog to follow for this month yet, but these are all worthy candidates. (Thus far.)

limyaael.insanejournal.com

The famous "fantasy rants," she covers a variety of writing topics that can be applied to many genres, but are geared toward good writing and the reduction of cliches within fantasy especially. I discovered this gal early on in my efforts to write well and I keep coming back for more. I doubt I've read all of them, but it's been so long since I read some of them that it feels like the first time.

www.stevenpressfield.com

If limyaael is responsible for inspiring my ideas, this man is the one to blame for having them actually make it to paper. I only recently discovered Steven Pressfield through a little book entitled The War of Art (not the one by Sun Tzu), which changed my life. Seriously. It hasn't even been six months since I read it for the first time, but I have been more productive (and, consequently, much happier) than I've ever been at any other point in my entire life. Yes, I know it sounds like I'm a cliched, raving maniac. But this man is worth it!

misssnark.blogspot.com

Not especially relevant to me quite yet, as I'm still working on producing a library of first drafts, but I've found the words of this literary agent to be enjoyable and insightful. This is another one of those where I haven't read  all of the entries. However, I definitely consider it to be of high quality.

hollylisle.com

This author's website is useful if only for one reason: Mugging the Muse: Writing Fiction for Love AND Money. Yeah, it sounds like a self-help book. Sure, it's kind of difficult to find on her new site. And yes, I will admit that I haven't read it in several years, so I cannot verify that it's actually good. But for my mid-teenage, young writer's self, it was a perfect read. Just enough of a mix between inspiring stories and cold, hard facts about the business to both verify for myself that I want to be in this business and give me the initial equipment to charge off into the unknown.

www.brandonsanderson.com

Yes, I continue to praise and adore Brandon Sanderson. It is, in part, because he deserves it. It is also, however, largely due to his very public and helpful persona. He continually seeks ways to offer assistance to fledgling writers through as many avenues as possible. All while trying to write the biggest and best fantasy novels on the market right now. The man is a machine.

No comments:

Post a Comment