Sunday, January 8, 2012

2011 in Review

Seems like everyone's already finished their renditions on this topic. Oh, well. So I'm late to the party (as usual).

I've finally counted up all the fiction I wrote last year and reached my final number in "The Journey to 500K."

It's about 222,000.

Yeah, not quite there.

Does this mean I failed my goal?

No. Not at all. It just means I didn't succeed as much as I had planned. Those words are still a major accomplishment. Some people might even be baffled as to how it's even possible. (Here's a hint: few of them are publishable. For now.)

Regardless of I have or have not come as a writer in this past year, I'm still proud of what my efforts. I didn't finish much, but I made progress in a lot of ways. I started actively working on projects that I've been holding off "until I'm good enough" (seldom a good idea). I learned which of those have potential NOW and which ones simply need to simmer for a little while. I experimented in several different subgenres and practiced a few new forms/styles/perspectives in my writing. I even discovered a few things about how to work more efficiently. (Two things to keep in mind, Josh: 1. Do the writing early. 2. Research doesn't count as writing.)

And now, as I move into the new year, I've find myself farther along than I ever thought I could be, looking ahead at the end of 2010.

I'm writing short fiction. Regularly. And enjoying it. (And, dare I say, growing more skilled at the craft?)

I attended a major convention and spoke to professionals in this field as friends (or at least acquaintances).

I'm learning about the business of writing, publishing, and living the creative life.

I'm on the eve of releasing my first story to the public, launching an ongoing series of episodic fiction.

This is really exciting stuff for me, and I feel like I'm just getting started.

Until next time...
-Joshua Kehe

No comments:

Post a Comment