Sunday, August 21, 2011

WorldCon 2011 -- Day 4

Networking, I have found, evokes a strange combination of exhilaration and exhaustion in me. Meeting new people and getting to know them and learning how much you have in common and hoping that you've made a new friend...that's all so exciting that it gives me such a thrill to watch it happen (even while participating in it). But putting myself out there, making that initial connection, being honest to total strangers...that all takes a lot of effort and can be emotionally draining.

So, as I said before, networking is this strange combination. I'm draining myself emotionally in order to make these connections with people and, when those connections work out and develop into something, it recharges me with the excitement. So, at the end of a night of networking (like tonight) I find myself on an incomparable high that makes me feel ready for anything...yet as soon as I hit that darkened room and look at the bed and simply have an opportunity to unwind a bit...wow, do I crash.



So that's where I'm at. It's been another fantastic day at WorldCon here. I went to two panels featuring George R.R. Martin. Met up with Brandon Sanderson at a signing. Attended the Hugo Awards Ceremony with some new friends. And proceeded to deepen my acquaintanceship with said friends.

But now? Wow. Now I'm ready for bed. I almost don't want to do the panel review for today, but I know I should or else I probably won't ever.

So, really quick, the day in review.

First panel was "Fans Turning Pro," about the phenomenon within SF Fandom for fans of the genre to eventually become professionals in some capacity, and for most of our professionals to have once been members of the fandom. Thus, more so than almost any other profession, there is an almost-level field for all of us to interact with each other -- much like a family. The pros don't see themselves as superior to the fans, they see themselves as fans as well (or at least having risen out of the fandom). And (most of) the fans don't view the pros as unapproachable gods, but instead contributing peers with which we can engage as relative equals. (Again, family metaphor. These conventions are far more like family reunions than they are anything else. There are some family members you know or like better than others; and there's always some drama between family. But at the end of the day, you're all a part of one big, happy group. Right?)

So, that's my impression on fandom, con-going, and that panel in general.

"George R.R. Martin Presents The Pointy End from the HBO Series." Basically, we watched the episode and George would periodically stop it to offer his comments. Very fun. Very insightful. Really glad I went.

...but it was two hours long, so I missed an impressive selection of panels that I probably would have liked to go to. So, had I known that the Martin HBO thing would be two hours, I probably wouldn't have gone. However, after deciding to go, I'm glad I stayed through the whole thing.

Lunchtime! Great Asian buffet around the corner from the convention center. They had a sushi bar (which you'll have noticed me being very excited about both on Twitter and Facebook, for those of you who pay attention to such things).

Back from Lunch, I stopped by Brandon's signing for a bit and talked with him about the IRS and tax deductions as a writer and some stuff like that. Then he had to run off to prepare for the Hugos (nominated with the Writing Excuses staff; didn't win, though).

After that, went to a panel with George Martin and Melinda Snodgrass about "the Ethics of Adaptation." Basically, it was George (a novelist) and Melinda (a screenwriter) reliving an argument about making changes to a book when adapting it to a movie. And it was very entertaining. They clearly know each other well and this was clearly a topic they wanted to talk about.

Following that...let's see...I chilled in the Con Suite for a bit before running into some friendly acquaintances I had made earlier in the week. Chatted with them for a bit. Decided to meet up later to attend the Hugo Awards together. Then I left to walk up to the Peppermill for the awards. (Yes, I was a bit early.)

That's about it. Hangouts afterwards, sure. But not so much tonight as the last few. Most people were celebrating on their own or else just throwing a party for the heck of it. And while I'm not opposed to either of those things, it was already late and I hadn't come prepared (mentally or physically) for such a night.

Finally, before I go, schedule for tomorrow. Very brief. Last day of the convention. Then it's heading home to pack up for school.

Sunday Convention Schedule
11:00 -- The Nooks and Crannies of the Business of Writing
12:00 -- Wild Cards
  OR  -- The Changing Short Fiction Market
  OR  -- Marketing Yourself on the Web
13:00 -- Chicon 7 - the Next Worldcon
  OR  -- Twenty Years of the Wheel of Time
14:00 -- Book Cover Design: Using Cover Elements to their Best Advantage

And then we're done.

No comments:

Post a Comment